The following guidelines apply to applications for continuation funding. These are considered as part of a rolling programme, with no specific deadlines.
There are two categories of Continuation funding as detailed in this guidance. In both cases;
- You may apply for funding up to 3 months prior to the end of the current award and no later than 3 months after the grant ends.
- Continuation requests are assessed as part of a rolling programme with no specific deadlines.
- We aim to ensure that applicants are advised of the Trust’s decision within approximately 8 weeks of receipt of your request. However, this is subject to receipt of all required information as detailed below.
- The request must be for the same piece of work outlined in your original application.
Continuation 2 & 3
In some cases where three year funding is requested, the Trust may only award one year with further funding subject to specific conditions being met, including a review of progress over the past year. If you applied for three year funding and only received one year, please refer to the condition of award which should be clearly outlined in your (Year 1) award email. Applicants are asked to ensure that any conditions are addressed as part of your request for further funding.
If eligible, we will email you approximately 3 months prior to the end of the award period with a link to our online Continuation 2 & 3 application form to complete. The application should be for the same work outlined in your original application and any approved funding is likely to be at the same level as year one. If there has been a significant change to the project or post being funded, you may be asked to submit a new Small or Main revenue grant application.
The application form will ask you to report on the Year 1 Outcomes & Activities and we also ask you to provide:
- A completed budget form for the next 2 years of your project
- A copy of your most recent independently examined/audited Accounts
Continuation 4 & 5
Organisations which have already received three year revenue funding may apply for a further two years of funding. The application should be for the same work outlined in your original application and your budget should reflect any increased costs of the project or service. Priority will be given to those organisations which can demonstrate that they have exceeded their planned outcomes and activities throughout the period of funding.
To apply for funding for Continuation 4 & 5 please contact the Giving Team by e-mailing email@example.com quoting your current grant reference number (e.g. 2017/1234) and we will email you a link to complete our online application form.
If your three year revenue award was made under our old strategy, before November 2016, please refer to our current Giving Strategy to ensure that the work you are asking us to fund aligns with this
Within the application form, we also ask you to provide:
- A completed budget form for the next 2 years of your project
- A copy of your most recent independently examined/audited Account
- A comprehensive summary report which highlights the key successes and achievements during the full three year funding period and which outlines your future plans for the next two years. It is important that you do not simply restate achievement of your annual Outcomes & Activities in this report, but instead highlight your key successes and points of learning over the three year funding period. Those organisations which are successful will be able to show that they have exceeded their planned outcomes during the period of funding and evidence significant impact, growth or progression. The quality of reporting and management of the Trust’s award during the funding period will also be taken into account.
Please note: Continuation 4 & 5 applicants will still need to complete an End of Grant report for the third and final year of your previous award. We will email you a link to our online report once the award period comes to an end. If we award you Continuation 4 & 5 funding, payment will not be released until a satisfactory End of Grant report has been received.
Which projects are likely to secure Continuation 4 & 5 funding?
We aim to prioritise those projects and services which address inequalities and/or which are targeting the most vulnerable individuals and communities across Scotland. You should clearly demonstrate how the funded work is meeting an immediate and unmet need in your summary report. Successful applicants are also more likely to be those organisations which adopt a proactive, preventative approach to key social issues. For example, whilst we fully appreciate the food work undertaken by Foodbanks, we will prioritise those which adopt a broader ‘More than Food’ approach as a means of breaking the cycle of food insecurity and poverty.
We understand that the ability to effectively demonstrate success can often be a challenge. We therefore suggest that you use the headings provided in our Continuation 4 & 5 Summary Report guide below.
Summary Report Headings
- Background – Provide a brief description of the original grant award, towards which further funding is being sought.
- Year on Year Summary – Provide an overview of your achievements/successes for each year of the grant. This should not merely re-state the information provided in the individual annual reports already submitted to the Trust. It should show year on year show growth in numbers, new developments/activities, key successes etc. You may also provide anticipated numbers if you are submitting your application in advance of your End of Grant report. Examples of this could include the following:
- Increase in number of service users.
- Increase in volunteers recruited, introduction of volunteer training programme or additional training programmes delivered.
- Expansion of services by geographical area or other demographic, e.g. delivery of services in additional local authority areas, delivery of services to include additional age groups.
- Increased activities/services delivered.
- Introduction of new activities/services/developments.
- Increased partnership working, introduction of new partnerships.
- Diversification of income streams/securing additional funding.
- Impact - You should also be able to clearly demonstrate the impact of what you have delivered over the period, with reference to the outcomes set each year i.e. what difference has the award made to your beneficiaries? What has changed/improved for them? You must also be able to provide evidence of this, e.g. increased number of beneficiaries reporting feeling more confident/less isolated/better able to cope etc.
- Evidence - Please include a mixture of pictures, case studies, feedback, user questionnaires where applicable. Graphs, charts or tables should include information which is meaningful in the context of the report and easy to understand. For example:
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|No of Volunteers recruited||8||17||26|
|No of Volunteers retained||6||15||24|
|No. of Volunteers completing training||6||14||24|
Total Service Users
No. of Service Users with Dementia
% of Service Users with Dementia
Total Service Hours Provided
- Future Plans – Tell us about your plans for the next two years; what will your focus be? Why do you need funding for a further two years? What will happen if you do not secure the funding?
When can I expect a decision?
Once you have submitted your online application form, we will send you an acknowledgement email advising that we aim to provide you with a decision within approximately 8 weeks. This is dependent on receipt of any additional information requested by your Funding Officer and any delays in receiving this will impact on this timescale.
All correspondence relating to your application is sent via email and it is therefore important that the email addresses and contact details which you provide at the point of application are correct. It is important that you let us know if there are any changes to these as we are likely to contact you during the assessment of your application.
Unfortunately, if your application is unsuccessful we would ask that you wait 12 months before reapplying to the Trust.
If you have any queries relating to the above please contact the Giving Team on firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I apply?
Please refer to 'Continuation 2-3' or 'Continuation 4-5' above for more information.