The three-pronged approach involved:
- Awareness-raising training for all staff in the establishment, regardless of their role and responsibilities, delivered by Barnardo’s
- A small pilot service, providing specialist assessment and direct intervention to young men affected by trauma, bereavement and loss, also provided by Barnardo’s
- Efforts to create a more coherent, coordinated and ‘trauma-informed’ response across the organisation
The aim of the research was to:
- Generate new learning to further knowledge and understanding about the trauma, bereavement and loss needs of young people involved in offending
- Increase understanding about effective interventions by monitoring the experience and impact of the Here & Now service and the staff awareness training
- To document and describe the Our Lives with Others approach, processes and outcomes to inform SPS service delivery and any formal commissioning and tendering processes in the future.